Monday, November 12, 2012

Violet Jelly!

Greetings everyone! :)

Here is another "use your stash" layout that I finished at a crop this past Saturday. I'm very pleased with how this turned out!

I have had these lovely Kaiser Craft papers in my stash forever. Kaiser is one of my favorite paper manufacturers, and for the longest time I've hoarded my stash of their stuff. NO MORE! I will be using it up! LOL

This this last spring I put my mind to learning how to make violet jelly. In past years it seemed we just didn't have enough violets growing in the yard, but my very careful attention to letting weeds grow rampant and unchecked in our yard gave us an abundant crop of violets this year. :)  So my son and I hit the grass to collect as many violets as we could!

I took pictures of every step of violet jelly-making - it was super fun and easy (as any jelly-making process can be called "easy").  But that meant I had more pictures than space on two 12x12 pages... so I used the die cut shape in the middle... with one half of it being a flap, that pictures are visible only when the flap is lifted. See below!

You can see in the center the green side of the die cut had hidden 4 more pictures.

I used lots of cricut cuts on these pages. The title uses the font from the newest Cricut Circle cartridge, "Something to Remember". The violets are from 50 States! an oldie but goodie cartridge. :)

The title and it's shadow was welded on my gypsy. The violets, 3 different forms of them, were cut in two different shades of violet cardstock as well as green for the leaf layer. The two different violet colors allowed me to trim and make my own extra layer on a couple of the flowers for two-toned violets. I also used a white gel pen and some other pens to do some coloring in the flower centers. I used my photos of the violets we picked as a guide to making my paper violets more realistic looking.

I also used a couple Charlene's Button Box buttons, a green square one became a flower pot, and a cute little purple butterfly.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

  1. Love the way you used the button as a vase. So cool. I love the colors and the one picture with the bowl of picked violets. So pretty. Great job as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout! I love the colors you used.

    http://happyscrapper64.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violet Jelly? That sounds fabulous! Violets are my mom's favorite flower -- really! In fact as others spray their lawns to have golf course turf, I always love my violets because my mom loves them! (Of course I love it when the clover flowers pop up too-- I am sure the neighbors think I am crazy, but they remind me of being a kid and making necklaces with them.)

    Your jelly-making process was perfectly documented and your page is gorgeous! Lovely LO!

    Now I need to keep this in mind next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific and unique post! Violet Jelly...who would have thought of that!!?? Great post!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com
    cccscraproom@myemc.net

    ReplyDelete