Friday, April 4, 2014

Henna - wedding layouts


I think I mentioned before that my "bachelorette party" was actually a henna party, where the ladies all applied henna to my arms, hands, feet and legs, and to each other (and to my moms). This was a super duper fun time! I still have to scrap the pictures of that party itself.

These pictures are while hubby and I are on honeymoon, the day after the wedding. This henna was pretty for about a week, then as my skin sloughed away, the henna began to fade. Here are some pictures for a close-up view:

To the left is one of my hands at the party, when the henna was being applied.

To the right here is one of my hands the day of the wedding, with the henna paste scraped off, so you can see the color vividly.

For those that might not know, Henna on hands, arms, legs and feet is a wedding tradition in hundreds of countries, from India in the north and spreading through out the middle east and northern africa.  Some traditions have the henna being applied to the bride every day for 3 days, to get it as dark as possible. And as long as the dye is visible on her skin, she is not allowed to do any work!!! (their version of the honeymoon perhaps?).  I wish I could have done that, I'd have made sure my henna stuck around for at least a month! lol  as it was, I had to go back to work a few days after the wedding. lol

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to clarify something Henna is applied only once 1 day before the wedding, because you cannot repeat the design. It is Vatna
    that is applied for 3 days which is mixture of gram flour, turmeric, flour and oil to clean the skin
    I hope I am not offending any body I love your posts follow them regularly
    Thankyou for being an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. :) I believe you are speaking of bridal henna tradition in India?

    My reference to 3 days of henna was a tradition in North Africa I believe, which I read about several years ago. If I can find the reference that I read, I will list it here. That is the beauty of henna, so many countries and traditions!

    ReplyDelete